There are 3 elements to Rhetoric. These are:
- Ethos - defined as personality and stance. The "who are you" and "What are you trying to convince us of?"
- Pathos - this is the appeal to the emotions; &
- Logos - this is the logic in your argument.
There are many websites that offer hints about rhetoric and public speaking. Some links are below:
- Professionally Speaking. This website looks at rhetoric in Public Speaking, mainly American and British.
- Bob Jones University
- Yahoos Rhetoric and Public Speaking listings;
- Aristotle's Rhetoric.
Once understood, the elements of rhetoric can be used to become more persuasive and convincing. They will also help you to negate persuasive arguments that you need to argue against.